Many organisations have contributed to the life of Titahi Bay over the years. Here's the history of a few of them. We would be pleased to add more - contact us.
The Titahi Bay Volunteer Fire Brigade was founded in 1945. [to be written... history, premises, happenings etc..]
Porirua Little Theatre
The Porirua Little Theatre is a community-supported non-profit theatre company, founded by Ellinore Ginn in 1950 as the Titahi Bay Little Theatre. It rehearsed and gave performances in the recreation hall that was built in Whitehouse Road by US Marines encamped at Titahi Bay during World War II.
This building has deteriorated over the years and is currently closed, with its future under review by the Porirua City Council. In the meantime Porirua Little Theatre stages productions at other venues.
The first Titahi Bay Boating Club was formed by a group of local boat shed owners, sailors and fishermen in 1952. The club’s first premises were located on the northern rocks however due to increased costs they moved to Onepoto which was more sheltered and a safer place for sailing. In 1966 the fishermen who were originally part of the Boating Club formed their own club, back at Titahi Bay beach. The Club has written about its history.
A Surf Life Saving Club has operated for over 40 years in the Bay. Today, the Titahi Bay Surf Life Saving Club is located at the centre of the beach, from where a large force of volunteers provides beach patrols and training for all ages. The Club is a regular and successful competitor in national life-saving competitions.
Have we missed something important? Contact us.
Keen to learn more? Then visit Porirua Library's Heritage page.